Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: .444 marlin

Title
    Premium Member

.444 marlin

I just got a cva single shot .444 marlin with a 1:20 twist and 25 in barrel. I plan on using a 265 gn flat point bullet and imr 4198 because that is the powder I have on hand at the moment. Has anybody tried this combination with any success or would you recommend another powder? How much of a crimp do I need being that I dont have to worry about the bullet moving on recoil?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    You have the winning combo there. The best jacketed bullet in the 444 and the right powder. I always had lever guns in 444 so always ran decent crimp, but might not need to in your cva, try without a crimp but if you are getting un-burnt powder or accuracy is not what you would like it to be start with a light crimp and see if it helps. You can also play with seating depth more if not crimping as you do not have to worry about cannelure.

Title
    Premium Member
    Have you ever used the hornady 265 Gn FTX BULLET? Any luck with them? The reason for I ask is because I had a hard time finding the 256 gn flat point bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    No I have not, I tried the 325 FTX in 45/70 and although they shot well did not perform well on deer or pigs so lost interest in the concept. But I have not heard any bad reports on 265 in 444. Sierra makes a 300 grain soft point that would work well in a single shot but to long to cycle in most lever actions. I also had decent luck with 240 grain Jacketed soft point but hollow points tend to break up still kill the deer but tougher to trail without exit hole.

Title
    Premium Member
    I guess I'll have to load some up and try it!! Thanks for your input

Title
    Premium Member
    Have you checked your velocity using imr 4198 and a hornady 265 Gn fp? I'm using 43.0 gn imr 4198 at 2.575"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    You have the winning combo there. The best jacketed bullet in the 444 and the right powder. I always had lever guns in 444 so always ran decent crimp, but might not need to in your cva, try without a crimp but if you are getting un-burnt powder or accuracy is not what you would like it to be start with a light crimp and see if it helps. You can also play with seating depth more if not crimping as you do not have to worry about cannelure.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Title
    Premium Member
    Never checked velocity, more concerned with accuracy but that load should put you at about 2100 fps, and looks like plenty accurate. The cvas shoot well, I have one it 7mm08 and one in 45/70.